Dominique Ansel's Blueberry Crumble Pie Recipe
The chef served a version of this fruit-filled dessert during 'Pie Night' at Dominique Ansel Kitchen in New York City
Dominique Ansel’s Blueberry Crumble Pie
The chef served a version of this fruit-filled dessert during ‘Pie Night’ at Dominique Ansel Kitchen in New York City
1 9-in. frozen pie shell
1¼ cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
¾ cup apple juice
1 tsp. lemon zest, divided
2 tbsp. blueberry jam
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. cornstarch
4 ½ cups fresh blueberries, divided
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1¼ cups flour
1/3 tsp. salt
½ cup buttermilk
1¼ cups rolled oats
1. Bake the pie shell according to package directions, and then let cool completely.
2. To make the blueberry filling: In a medium pot, bring ½ cup sugar, apple juice, ½ tsp. lemon zest, jam and vanilla to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking slowly. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup sugar with cornstarch, then slowly whisk the mixture into the pot. Bring back to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low, stir in 2 cups blueberries and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups blueberries.
4. Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell. Chill in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
5. To make the crumble: Preheat oven to 350°. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter, flour, ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar, salt, buttermilk and rolled oats and mix on low until it just comes together.
6. Drop teaspoon-size pieces of mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake until lightly golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes, turning pan halfway through. Let cool and break into small pieces.
7. To serve, sprinkle the oat crumble on top of the pie, and warm in the oven at 350° for about 15 minutes. Top with a handful of blueberries and ½ tsp. lemon zest.
Makes: One 9-in. pie
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus chilling
Cook time: 55 minutes
TIP! ‘Save your leftover buttermilk oat crumble to sprinkle on top of your yogurt, as a topping for ice cream or for breakfast the next morning,’ says Ansel.