Hungry Girl: How to Make Healthy Mexican-Style Egg Rolls for Cinco de Mayo
And don't forget the margaritas.
Lisa Lillien is the author of the popular Hungry Girl website and email newsletter, featuring smart, funny advice on guilt-free eating. She is also the author of eleven books, six of which debuted at number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list. Read her PEOPLE.com blog every Monday for slimmed-down celebrity recipes and more.
I love Mexican food and Cinco de Mayo is the perfect day to enjoy some of my favorites. While everyone loves taquitos, nachos, and quesadillas, I’m whipping up something extra special this year — baked egg rolls stuffed with chicken, beans, corn, and peppers.
And I’ve got a perfect creamy dip for these treats, made with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Dig in and don’t forget the HG margaritas!
WATCH THIS: ‘Ladies of London’s’ Marissa Hermer Makes Delicious Savory Scones & Talks Potential for Season 4 of Bravo Show
Southwestern Chicken Egg Rolls
8 oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup frozen sweet corn kernels
2 tbsp. seeded and chopped jalapeño peppers
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
6 large square egg roll wrappers (stocked with the refrigerated Asian items in the supermarket)
¼ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 oz. (about 2 tbsp.) mashed avocado
1 tbsp. salsa
1 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Pound chicken to an even thickness. Season with ¼ tsp. cumin, ¼ tsp. chili powder, ¼ tsp. salt, and ⅛ tsp. black pepper. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook chicken for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
3. In a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, jalapeño, and cilantro. Add remaining ¼ tsp. cumin, ¼ tsp. chili powder, ¼ tsp. salt, and ⅛ tsp. black pepper. Chop chicken, and add to the bowl. Mix well.
4. Lay an egg roll wrapper flat on a dry surface. Evenly distribute about 1/6th of the mixture (about ⅓ cup) in a row a little below the center.
5. Moisten all four edges by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the sides about ¾-inch toward the middle, to keep mixture from falling out. Roll up the wrapper around the mixture and continue to the top. Seal with a dab of water.
6. Place egg roll on the baking sheet, and repeat to make 5 more egg rolls.
7. Spray egg rolls with nonstick spray. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix sauce ingredients until uniform. Serve egg rolls with sauce for dipping.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Nutritional information: 1 egg roll with about 1 1/2 tbsp. sauce: 150 calories, 2g total fat (0.5g sat fat), 406mg sodium, 20g carbs, 2g fiber, 1.5g sugars, 13g protein
‘Til next time… Chew the right thing!