Life Hack: Drink Your Coffee Out of Chocolate-Dipped Waffle Cones
Think your morning coffee can’t get any better? Think again.
The second we came across the Instagram feed of Alfred Coffee in Los Angeles and spotted their “Alfred Cone,” a chocolate-dipped waffle cone that they use in place of a demitasse cup, we knew we had to try one. But since we’re on the opposite coast, and chocolate-dipped, espresso-filled waffle cones are a wee bit hard to ship, we figured we’d attempt to make our own.
Ready for the best news? Not only are these chocolate-dipped cones tasty, but they are incredibly simple to make. And if you do get a little messy, worst case is that you end up with a little extra chocolate on your cone.And that would never be a problem in our book.
The coconut oil is a little addition that does two things. First, it makes the chocolate melt more smoothly. Second, it helps it harden. Chocolate and coconut oil make the equivalent of a magic shell — that amazing ice cream topping you probably loved as a child. If you don’t have coconut oil, you can use chocolate candy melts instead.
Don’t worry if you can’t find waffle cones with flat bottoms, wafer cones work just as well. And if you want to serve lattes instead of espresso, opt for waffle bowls. You can make several cones at once and they should keep for about a week.
We don’t know about you but our morning coffee routine will never be the same again.
Chocolate-Dipped Cone Cups
1 12-oz. bag of chocolate chips
¼ cup coconut oil
6 flat bottomed ice cream cones
1. In a double boiler melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil, stirring until smooth. You might use more or less coconut oil depending on the type of chocolate you use.
2. Using a teaspoon, pour a small amount of melted chocolate into the cone.
3. Swirl the cone so that the chocolate coats the inside. Repeat until the inside of the cone is completely covered.
4. Turn the cone upside down and dip the rim so that it is covered in chocolate.
5. Place cone right side up on cookie sheet to allow chocolate to harden.
6. Add your favorite coffee or espresso drink. Enjoy!