Check Out Chipotle's Actual Guacamole Recipe
For all of those who hate that fact that “guac is extra” at Chipotle—we’ve got some great news for you, and just in time for Cinco de Mayo.
The fast-casual Mexican chain—where Hillary Clinton recently stopped in for lunch while on the presidential campaign trail—posted its highly-coveted guacamole recipe on its website on Sunday, so you can just whip it up at home. Our advice? Make a big batch and bring a little container of it when you go to Chipotle, so you can just administer the guac on your burrito bowl yourself.
Oh, and in case you’re curious: The average order at Chipotle may be well over 1,000 calories, but there are 230 calories in each 4 oz. serving of their guacamole.
RELATED: Cinco de Mayo Freebies: Where Can You Get Free Food on May 5th
2 ripe Hass avocados
2 tsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 jalapeño, including seeds, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1. Choose the right avocado. It should feel squishy yet firm (like the palm of your hand), and be a nice dark green color on the inside.
2. Cut the avocado in half and the remove the pit (carefully!)
3. Scoop the avocados and place in a medium bowl.
4. Toss and coat with lime juice.
5. Add the salt and using a fork or potato masher, mash until a smooth consistency is achieved.
6. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Taste the guacamole (over and over) and adjust seasoning if necessary.
[related title=”Cinco for Cinco de Mayo: 5 Party-Ready Margaritas & Guacamoles” link=https://www.people.com/people/greatideas/gallery/0,,20918775_30327686,00.html”]
—Maria Yagoda, @MariaYagoda