Chicken and Mushroom Marsala
1 lb. chicken breast tenders
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. coarse salt, divided
¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
¼ cup canola oil
8 oz. cremini mushrooms, stemmed and cut into 1-in. pieces
½ cup dry Marsala wine
½ cup chicken stock
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives, plus more for garnish
1. Place chicken on a cutting board in a single layer, and cover with plastic wrap. Lightly pound using flat end of a meat mallet until tenderloins are ¼-in. thick.
2. Stir together flour, ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper in a wide, shallow bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Dip chicken pieces in the flour mixture, turning to coat both sides. Shake off excess flour and place in the heated skillet. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
4. Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, until water has evaporated and mushrooms are browned. Season with remaining 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Add wine, and bring to a boil over medium heat for 1½ minutes, or until reduced by half. Add chicken stock, and simmer for 5 minutes, until sauce reduces slightly. Stir in butter.
5. Return chicken to pan, and simmer gently for 1 minute to heat through. Garnish with parsley or chives before serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes