Carla Hall's Buffalo Chicken Burger
That amazing hot wing flavor, now in burger form!
The Chew cohost and owner of Carla Hall’s Southern Kitchen in Brooklyn creates a dish that’s spicy, creamy and crunchy at the same time.
Carla Hall‘s Buffalo Chicken Burger
4 celery stalks, cut diagonally into 1-in. pieces (about 1 cup)
½ cup very thinly sliced red onion
¼ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
½ tsp. black pepper, divided
2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled (about ½ cup)
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup minced yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. hot sauce plus more for garnish
½ tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. crushed red pepper
1¼ lb. coarsely ground chicken
4 brioche or potato buns, toasted
1. Toss together celery, red onion, parsley, vinegar, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Add blue cheese; gently toss to combine. Set aside.
2. Heat butter and 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium high until butter melts. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until onion is golden and tender, about 1 minute. Stir in hot sauce, thyme, red pepper and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken to onion mixture; using damp hands, gently mix until combined. (Don’t overmix.) Shape mixture into 4 patties. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each patty.
4. Rub patties with remaining oil. Heat a nonstick grill rack on the grill over medium heat. Cook patties, working in batches if needed, until bottoms are browned, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook until browned, firm and juices run clear, about 3 minutes.
5. Place 1 burger on each bottom bun, and top each with about ½ cup slaw and additional hot sauce if desired. Cover with top buns, and serve.
Active time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
For more awesome summer recipes and entertaining tips, pick up the latest special issue of PEOPLE, on stands now.