Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden Feast on Chicken and Waffles in N.Y.C.
During a weekend surely filled with too much Thanksgiving turkey, Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden sought out a different kind of bird.
The couple chowed down on a Southern-style meal at N.Y.C.’s Sweet Chick on Sunday night with a feast that included fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, sautéed kale and cornbread as well as buffalo chicken and waffles.
Madden performed at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in the city a few days earlier with his twin brother Joel as part of The Madden Brothers rock duo.
RELATED: Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs Party Together in N.Y.C.
Joel wasn’t with Benji and Diaz at Sunday’s Sweet Chick dinner, although the couple was joined by friends and family, a source tells PEOPLE. “They sat across from each other and were having a great time, laughing and enjoying the night,” the source said.
Madden and Diaz, who have sparked engagement rumors recently, were both dressed casually for the occasion and were seated at the back of the restaurant with their group of eight.
Want to get a taste of the couple’s Southern feast? If you aren’t too full from Thanksgiving leftovers, fry up Sweet Chick’s chicken recipe at home.
Sweet Chick Fried Chicken
Serves 4 to 6
1 gallon water
1 cup sweet tea
¾ cup kosher salt
¼ cup freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tbsp. garlic powder
Whole chicken, or 10 separate pieces
8 cups flour
½ cup cornstarch
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. dried thyme
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 cups buttermilk
4 cups vegetable oil
1. Combine water and next 6 ingredients in a large pot to create a brine. Add chicken and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
3. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl and rub on chicken, shaking off excess.
4. Coat with buttermilk and dredge again in flour mixture.
5. Fill a large pan with ⅓ of an inch of oil and heat to 300°F. Fry chicken in oil for 15 to 20 minutes until done (meat should be golden-brown and the internal temperature should be 165°F).
RELATED: Sean Penn and Charlize Theron Feast on Tamales and Margaritas
—Ana Calderone, @anacalderone