Made with juicy grilled chicken, a super grain and lots of colorful veggies, this Vietnamese-inspired dish is a nutritional powerhouse that really satisfies. Get the adapted recipe for home cooks below.
California Pizza Kitchen’s Banh Mi Power Bowl
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 (8-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
¾ tsp. black pepper, divided
3 Tbsp. lime juice
5 oz. baby kale
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 medium radish, cut into matchsticks
1 small cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
1 ripe avocado, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 serrano chilies, thinly sliced
4 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
2. Preheat a grill to medium-high (400° to 450°), or heat a grill pan over medium-high. Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the pepper. Grill chicken until lightly charred and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice chicken.
3. Whisk together lime juice and remaining 4 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Toss together quinoa, baby kale, cilantro and mint in a large bowl until combined. Toss salad with half of the dressing. Divide salad among 4 bowls. Arrange chicken, bean sprouts, carrots, radish, cucumber, avocado and scallions around salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing, and sprinkle with chilies and sesame seeds.
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Serve the bowls with CPK’s chili-lime dressing for an even bolder flavor.
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 ½ Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. sambal
1 Tbsp. tamari
1 Tbsp. minced raw ginger
1 Tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
½ Tbsp. chopped serrano pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Put all ingredients except olive oil into a blender.
2. Set the blender to high and slowly add the olive oil.
3. After all of the oil has been added, blend for 30 additional seconds.
4. Serve over bowls or store in an airtight container in refrigerator.