Ben & Jerry's Shared Their Edible Cookie Dough Recipe So You Can Make It at Home
Over the past few months, food brands have been sharing their most coveted recipes for fans to make at home — from Disney park delicacies to fast-food favorites — and the latest is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Ben & Jerry's shared their edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, and it's the same one used for their frozen dough balls found in the brand's popular ice creams. Sure, you can buy the sweet morsels pre-made in their own ready-to-snack bags at the grocery store (They even won a PEOPLE Food Award last year!) but making the dough from scratch is a great activity to do at home.
The cookie dough is completely safe to eat raw since the recipe doesn't require eggs and the flour is heat-treated to destroy any harmful contaminants like E. coli and Salmonella.
Take a look below to try out this quick and easy recipe for yourself — it only takes 15 minutes to make and requires just seven ingredients.
Ben & Jerry's Edible Cookie Dough
1 cup flour
8 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup chocolate chips
1. First, heat treat the flour to ensure it is safe to eat. (Do not skip this step, untreated flour can contain contaminants and is not safe to eat.) Place the flour in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the flour reaches 165°F throughout.
2. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla, cream, and salt. Mix to combine. Then add the heat treated flour and mix to incorporate.
4. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Serve and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Makes: About 2 cups
**This recipe was provided to PEOPLE by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional. It has not been tested for home use.**