Bakerella: Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies with a Kick
Angie Dudley, a.k.a Bakerella, is the author of the New York Times best-selling book Cake Pops and creator of Bakerella.com. Visit PEOPLE.com on Fridays for her sweet spin on celebrity recipes and more.
Chocolate cookies are always a good idea in my book. They can be plain, filled with pecans, flavored with coffee — or spicy!
These cookies are a riff on an addictive cocoa dessert: [premium title=”Armie Hammer’s Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownie Bites” url=”https://www.people.com/people/premium/celebfood/recipe/0,,20769884,00.html”].
It’s the cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne that make these cookies sizzle.
The cookie dough also has a touch of chocolate hazelnut spread mixed in. I think it gives the cookies an extra edge, but it’s optional.
Scoop the dough out with a melon baller for evenly-sized cookies, which you’ll plop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
A 1½-inch scoop will yield about 32 cookies for you to enjoy.
They are chewy and chocolatey, and the cayenne truly kicks the flavor up a notch.
But if you want to cool off the cayenne, then just sandwich a big scoop of ice cream (any flavor!) between two cookies. You won’t regret it.
Chocolate Cookies with a Kick
1½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ cup unsalted butter
1½ cups sugar
⅓ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
2 tsp. Mexican vanilla extract or regular vanilla
10 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cayenne using a wire whisk. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, cream butter, sugar and hazelnut spread until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
4. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour mixture in two additions, with the mixer on low until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
RELATED: Make Bakerella’s Boozy Cake Shakes