Thomas Henzi's California Almond Cake
California Almond Cake Recipe
16 oz. almond paste
1 cup butter, softened
1¾ cups sugar
1/3 cup triple sec
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Sliced toasted almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the almond paste, butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 2 minutes.
2. Reduce speed to medium-low, and slowly add the triple sec and eggs. Do not overmix.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture and mix only until blended.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-in. springform pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Cover the cake with foil to prevent over-browning, and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the pan, and turn out onto a platter. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and powdered sugar before serving.
Makes: One 9-in. cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes