Sally McKenney Quinn’s American Flag Cookie Cake
¾ cup unsalted softened butter, divided
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1½ cups sifted powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp. heavy cream
1 cup blueberries
2 cups strawberries, halved
2 cups banana slices
1. Beat ½ cup butter with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add granulated sugar, and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
2. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture while beating on low speed. Beat until completely combined, about 1 minute. Transfer dough to a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 13×9-in. baking sheet with cooking spray. Press dough evenly into baking sheet, forming a slight edge on all sides. Bake until edges are very lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool completely.
4. Beat cream cheese and remaining ¼ cup butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons cream; beat 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. (If mixture seems too thick, add 1 more tablespoon of cream.) Beat 1 minute. Spread in a thick layer over cookie.
5. Arrange blueberries in a square in top left corner of cookie. Arrange strawberry halves in parallel horizontal lines, leaving 2 to 3 inches between rows, then add banana slices in between strawberries to resemble the American flag.
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes