Dominique Williams, 34, is being held without bond
A 34-year-old Georgia man was charged Tuesday with the alleged sexual assault of a woman on an Atlanta nightclub’s dance floor that was streamed by the alleged victim on Facebook Live.
Dominique Williams is being held without bond, charged with one count of aggravated sodomy, an Atlanta police spokeswoman confirms to PEOPLE.
It was unclear Thursday if he’d pleaded to the charge, and online records do not indicate if he has retained an attorney who could speak to the allegations against him.
An incident report obtained by PEOPLE indicates investigators were alerted to a possible sexual assault at the Opera nightclub in Atlanta on Jan. 20. Several individuals connected to the alleged victim on Facebook called 911 as the alleged assault was taking place.
When detectives arrived less than an hour later, none of the women they interviewed indicated they had been victimized or were otherwise in need of police assistance.
Detectives did locate the footage online, prompting an investigation despite no complaint from the alleged victim.
In the video, the alleged victim can be seen on the crowded dance floor, “being groped on her chest and possibly being raped from behind,” the indecent report explains. “In the video, you can clearly hear the female saying, ‘Stop, please somebody help me.'”
Investigators tracked down the alleged victim using Facebook, and learned she was no longer in Georgia.
The alleged victim, who appears slightly disoriented in the footage, is cooperating with investigators, and told them she was at the club with friends the night of the alleged assault, celebrating her birthday.
She has told authorities she believes one of her drinks was drugged.
Police allege they were able to identify Williams as the man in the video the following day.
At the time of his arrest, Williams was clean-shaven. The alleged assault footage shows him with a full beard.
The video has been removed from Facebook.
Attorney L. Chris Stewart, who is representing the alleged victim, said in a statement the arrest is a good start but “our quest for justice is just beginning.”
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Stewart said his firm has been investigating what he said were security flaws at the club, and described the findings as “shocking.”
A statement from the management at Opera nightclub — posted to Facebook — says “we have met with the Atlanta Police Department and have provided them with everything they have requested.”
It adds: “We will continue to aid and support their investigation in any way we can.”