November 02, 2016 05:45 PM

A Washington, D.C., woman was indicted on Tuesday for murder after allegedly strangling then dismembering her newborn son, PEOPLE confirms.

Federal prosecutors say Lillian Alvarado, now 24, delivered her son in the bathtub of her family’s apartment on Nov. 28, 2013. The infant’s death was discovered after police received a call from a resident complaining that blood and water was leaking from their apartment ceiling.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by PEOPLE, police arrived just after 11 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day to a gruesome scene at the Alvarado family’s third-floor apartment: They found the boy in the bathroom tub — and his dismembered legs inside the toilet.

Crime scene investigators also recovered a bloody set of scissors with a three-inch blade, according to the affidavit.

Family members told police they had no idea that Alvarado was pregnant and were concerned about her when she wouldn’t leave the bathroom.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Alvarado later told police she took a shower and had plans to go to the hospital when she gave birth in the family tub and cut the umbilical cord with scissors, according to the affidavit. She said she hit her head on the sink when she attempted to get out of the tub and remembered flushing the toilet before “everything went dark.”

D.C.’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner later concluded her baby died from asphyxiation and dismemberment.

Alvarado, who was arrested in January 2014, was indicted in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia on charges of first-degree (premeditated) murder while armed, with aggravating circumstances; first-degree felony murder while armed, also with aggravating circumstances, and first-degree cruelty to children.

She faces a possible sentence of life in prison with no possibility of release.

Her attorney did not return a call from PEOPLE. But, according to the Washington Post, attorneys from the public defender’s office have repeatedly argued in court that Alvarado is not mentally competent to stand trial — thus the delay from her arrest to indictment.

Alvarado was eventually found to be competent, according to the Post.

She remains in custody without bail and is due in court on Friday for an arraignment hearing, where she will enter a plea.

A trial date has not been set.

You May Like