Inside the Worldwide Search for the 'Unicorn Killer' Who Murdered a Former Salutatorian
People Magazine Investigates details how Texas beauty Holly Maddux's murder led investigators down a dark path to find her killer
Beautiful, blonde and smart, high school cheerleader and class salutatorian Holly Maddux stood out in her small town of Tyler, Texas.
Soft-spoken and shy, Maddux was also a free spirit who wanted more than her small, traditional town could offer her. Voted “Most Likely to Succeed” in high school, she went on to attend the prestigious Bryn Mawr College near Philadelphia, graduating with an English degree in 1971 before making the more cosmopolitan city her home.
With the Vietnam War raging, Maddux embraced the counter-culture ideas of the day and in 1972, met antiwar activist Ira Einhorn, whose friends included the Grateful Dead’s Jerry Garcia and radical activist Abbie Hoffman. Einhorn swept Maddux off her feet and introduced her to an exciting new life filled with travel, rallies and parties.
But her new life with Einhorn was far from idyllic. In 1977, Maddux, then 30, decided to end the five-year relationship.
She later went to collect her belongings from the apartment she’d shared with Einhorn — but was never seen alive again.
The mystery surrounding Maddux’ disappearance and the shocking truth about her death are examined in-depth on Monday’s episode of People Magazine Investigates on Investigation Discovery. The episode, titled “The Unicorn Killer,” airs Monday, Jan. 21 at 10 p.m. ET. (An exclusive clip is shown above.)
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
When Buffy Hall learned that her sister was killed, “I was 17 and that’s the day I officially grew up,” she says on People Magazine Investigates.
The episode chronicles the unlikely twists and turns the case, including a high-profile international manhunt for the man who became known as ‘The Unicorn Killer’ — and the decades-long quest to find justice for Maddux.
People Magazine Investigates: The Unicorn Killer, airs Monday, Jan. 21 at 10 p.m. ET on Investigation Discovery.
- Steve Harvey Defends Ellen DeGeneres, Says She's 'One of the Kindest People' in the Business
- Melanie Griffith Says 'There's Endless Possibilities' After Her Divorces
- How Willie Nelson and His 'Best Friend' Big Sister Bobbie Helped Each Other Through Tragedy
- Michael Bolton on Filming His 'When a Man Loves a Woman' Panera Remix: 'There Was a Lot of Laughter'