Police say the incident began as an exchange of gunfire between unknown suspects before the shooter turned on them

Credit: NurPhoto/REX Shutterstock

A shooter who was on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, late Sunday night near peaceful protesters on the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown’s death has been charged with firing at police.

Tyrone Harris, 18, of St. Louis, remained hospitalized Monday in critical condition after what St. Louis County Police said began as an exchange of gunfire between unknown suspects.

Police said they were investigating an assault and robbery of a newspaper reporter “by several unknown persons” in a parking lot near where protesters had gathered, which was not far from where the unarmed Brown was killed by police officer Darren Wilson. The gunfire, which police said was unrelated to the assault and robbery, broke out at about 11:10 p.m.

As one of the shooting suspects took off running, police in an unmarked vehicle turned on their emergency lights and began driving toward the suspect, “who immediately turned and began firing at the detective’s police vehicle, striking the police vehicle numerous times,” according to police reports.

The report continued: “The detectives then exited the vehicle, at which time the suspect turned and began firing rounds at the detectives, who began firing at the suspect. The suspect then again began running on foot and detectives began chasing the suspect on foot” behind a business.

“The suspect once again stopped, turned, and re-engaged the detectives, who returned fire, striking the suspect multiple times.”

Police say they later recovered a stolen .9 mm semi-automatic firearm at the scene.

Harris has been charged with four counts of first-degree assault on law enforcement, five counts of armed criminal action and one count of discharging or shooting a firearm at a motor vehicle. He was arrested and is being held on $250,000 bond.

Harris’ father, Tyrone Harris Sr., told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that his son and Michael Brown were “real close,” and both had graduated from Normandy High School. The school confirmed the graduation of Tyrone Harris this past June.

He added, “We think there’s a lot more to this than what’s being said.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.