On Friday, videos of South Carolina serial killer Todd Kohlhepp's interrogation and the rescue of his only surviving victim, Kala Brown, were released

By Adam Carlson
June 12, 2017 03:36 PM

Almost immediately after she was discovered chained in a storage container in South Carolina — where she had been held captive for more than two monthsKala Brown began telling investigators what happened to her.

“Todd Kohlhepp shot [Brown’s boyfriend] Charlie Carver three times in the chest, wrapped him in a blue tarp, put him in the bucket of the tractor, locked me down here. I never seen [Carver] again,” Brown told authorities on Nov. 3, as they freed her from the container on Kohlhepp’s approximately 100-acre property in Woodruff, South Carolina.

“He says he’s dead and buried,” Brown said as she was released, her voice stoic. “He says there’s several bodies dead and buried buried out here.”

Brown and Carver had disappeared on Aug. 31 of last year. Authorities believe Brown is Kohlhepp’s only surviving victim.

The above details of her rescue were among the numerous documents, photos and videos from Kohlhepp’s case that were released by prosecutors on Friday and obtained by the Anderson Independent-Mail, the Greenville News and Spartanburg Herald-Journal, among other news outlets.

In addition to the footage of Brown’s rescue, videos were also released of a post-arrest interrogation of Kohlhepp, 46, as well as another clip which shows him being informed for the first time that authorities have discovered Brown on his property.

Those two videos of him — one taken soon after Brown was saved on Nov. 3 and the other of his interrogation on Nov. 5 — capture a bizarre shift in the convicted serial killer.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Todd Kohlhepp - News
Todd Kohlhepp in custody in November 2016
| Credit: Tim Kimzey/The Spartanburg Herald-Journal/AP

In the first video, as he sits handcuffed in the foyer of his home, he denies having shot Carver or kidnapping Brown, and he asks for an attorney. But in the latter video two days later, Kohlhepp appears disconcertingly untroubled, even joking occasionally, as he describes how he killed seven people over 13 years.

“I will tell you that once I engaged, I was engaged,” he says in the interrogation, detailing the quadruple murder he committed at a motorcycle shop in Chesnee, South Carolina, in 2003. He fatally shot Beverly Guy, Brian Lucas, Scott Ponder and Chris Sherbert, and he said in his interrogation that he fired on some of the victims as they fled the store.

WATCH: Story Behind the Story: S.C. Serial Killer Death Toll Rises to 7

The victims’ relatives have told PEOPLE that, according to authorities, Kohlhepp was motivated by revenge after he felt disrespected as a customer.

“It was almost like a video game,” he said in the interrogation. “It’s not a game. … You’ve been there, sir, you know what I’m talking about.”

“That was one big building. I cleared that building in under 30 seconds,” Kohlhepp said. “I’m sorry, but you guys would have been proud.”

Twelve years later, Kohlhepp murdered Johnny and Meagan Coxie. They had been reported missing from the area in December 2015.

From left: Johnny and Meagan Coxie
| Credit: Courtesy The Coxie Family

In his interrogation, Kohlhepp said he killed Johnny by shooting him twice in the chest. He briefly detained Meagan in the same shipping crate where he later kept Brown, but he killed her after a few days, he said.

“Every other d— day, she wanted Little Caesars pizza. I hate that s—. It only gives me heartburn,” Kohlhepp said in the interrogation video. “Little Caesars pizza … Dr Pepper, cinnamon rolls and freaking Newports. If you go down to that building, you’ll find an unused package of Newports that I bought for her. And then she went bats—. She tried to light my d— building on fire.”

Finally, on Aug. 31 of last year, he killed Brown’s boyfriend, Charlie Carver, and took her captive. She was found in November after authorities reportedly discovered from Brown’s Facebook that she and Carver had planned to go work on Kohlhepp’s property on the day they disappeared. (As Brown later revealed, that is what they were doing when she was taken hostage and he was shot.)

In May, Kohlhepp pleaded guilty to seven counts of murder and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Three months before that, Dr. Phil McGraw aired an interview with Brown, in her first media appearance since her rescue.

“No matter what [Kohlhepp] did to me, he did not break me,” she said then. “He could not destroy who I am, and I won. … He tried to crush me, but I’m not broken.”