Mary Helen Dempsey was killed after she allegedly walked in on her son and another teen burglarizing her home, police say

Credit: Facebook (3)

A Texas woman is dead after two teens allegedly beat her with baseball bats and then slit her throat after she interrupted them burglarizing her home — and one of the suspects is the woman’s son.

The arrests Wednesday of 18-year-old Matthew Dempsey and his friend, 18-year-old Daniel Saucedo, who are charged with the murder of 53-year-old Mary Helen Dempsey, were announced by San Antonio police.

Mary Dempsey is Matthew’s mom, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by local TV stations KSAT and WOAI and the San Antonio Express-News.

On Tuesday, the victim’s daughter, Jessica Dempsey, discovered the body in her mother’s home after hearing from one of her mother’s co-workers that she hadn’t shown up for work and couldn’t be reached by phone, the affidavit states.

Police allege that Matthew Dempsey and Saucedo used Matthew’s key to enter the home of his mom late Monday night or early Tuesday morning with the intent to rob her.

At the time Dempsey carried a loaded gun, authorities said.

Police say the two had started gathering items they intended to steal when Mary Dempsey returned home. After she turned on the kitchen light, her son, who had been in his bedroom, allegedly emerged to attack her from behind with a baseball bat.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Saucedo then grabbed a second bat and continued beating the victim in the living room, before one of the teens grabbed a knife from the kitchen and Matthew Dempsey cut his mother’s throat, the affidavit states.

After the victim was bound with duct tape, the teens covered her with a blanket retrieved from her bedroom, and then went through her wallet before loading the stolen items into her 2016 Honda Accord and driving away in the vehicle, the affidavit states.

When Mary Dempsey didn’t arrive at work Tuesday, the daughter who was notified went to the home and found the front door unlocked, the inside “ransacked.” Once in the living room, she “stepped closer to the blanket and saw it was covering a person and saw a pool of blood,” the affidavit states.

She called police, who later went to Matthew Dempsey’s residence where they say they discovered a trash bag containing clothes splattered with blood.

When Matthew Dempsey returned home, he was arrested and questioned along with his girlfriend, who allegedly told police that he had confessed to killing his mom with Saucedo’s help.

Both men have been jailed with bond for each set at $1 million. Neither has entered a plea and it could not be determined if either had obtained an attorney to speak on their behalf.