Investigators in Texas are still searching for answers as to why Sarah Nicole Henderson allegedly shot her two girls, Kaylee, 7, and Kenlie, 5, while they slept

By KC Baker
November 29, 2017 10:57 AM

Authorities are still investigating why a Texas mother allegedly fatally shot her two young daughters while they slept — and the local community is reeling after the girls’ deaths.

“It was a hard hit for everybody,” Henderson County Sheriff Botie Hillhouse tells PEOPLE. “They were just little girls. They didn’t deserve this.”

The girls’ mother, Sarah Nicole Henderson, 29, has been held in the Henderson County Jail on a $2 million bond since she her Nov. 2 arrest. She is charged with one count of capital murder for allegedly killing her two daughters, Kaylee Danielle, 7, and 5-year-old Kenlie, according to court and jail records obtained by PEOPLE.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Henderson had allegedly confessed to the killings and said she’d been planning to kill her daughters and her husband “a couple weeks prior,” says Hillhouse. She had told investigators she had planned to kill herself, too.

Sarah Nicole Henderson
| Credit: Henderson County Sheriff's Office

Henderson has not yet been indicted or entered a plea, according to court records.

Her case will likely go before a grand jury, which could indict her on two counts of capital murder, as well as attempted murder for allegedly trying to kill her husband, says Hillhouse.

In the meantime, investigators are trying to ascertain a possible motive.

“We’ve been doing a lot of legwork to try to see what was going on in the home,” says Hillhouse.

‘What Did I Do?’

The family’s nightmare started on Nov. 1 at about 11:30 p.m. when Henderson’s husband and the girls’ stepfather, Jacob Henderson, called 911 to report that Henderson was possibly suicidal, CBS News reported at the time.

“My wife, she’s like, I don’t know,” Jacob told a dispatcher in the first call. “She won’t listen to me. She won’t talk to me,’” the outlet reported.

When deputies responded, the couple reported no problems. Three hours later, Jacob called again, this time frantically telling police that his wife had shot her two daughters, according to CBS News.

The Henderson girls

The AP reported Jacob could be heard sobbing in the call, saying, “She was asleep when I went to sleep last night. I woke up and she came in there [and] said, ‘Babe, I just shot the kids.’ And I didn’t want to believe it. I went in there and they were dead.”

He said the girls were both sleeping in the living room, and that they had been shot in the head. According to the AP, Henderson could be heard in the background asking her husband to kill her or shoot her, at one point yelling, “God what did I do?”

• For more compelling True Crime coverage follow our Crime magazine on Flipboard.

According to Hillhouse, Henderson tried to shoot her husband but the gun malfunctioned. After he took the gun from her, he realized the girls had been shot.

WFAA reported Henderson had been investigated by Child Protective Services in 2010, but that the information was confidential.

PEOPLE’s calls to Henderson’s attorneys and the district attorney’s office were not returned.