Superhero Themed Funeral Held for School Shooting Victim Jacob Hall
Many attendees wore superhero costumes to honor the boy, who died Saturday after being shot last week.
Mourners dressed as superheroes assembled Wednesday for the funeral of Jacob Hall, the 6-year-old boy fatally injured when a teenage shooter allegedly opened fire at a South Carolina elementary school Sept. 28.
The funeral, which was live-streamed online, was superhero-themed because Jacob was interested in superheroes. Mourners dressed as the Avengers, Superman, Batman and others.Jacob’s casket was adorned with memorabilia including a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mask, a Captain American action figure and superhero balloons. His family wore matching “Team Jacob” shirts.
The first to speak was Batman, identified by WYFF as John Buckland, who called the service “the biggest super hero bash this planet has ever seen.”
“This whole day is about Jacob. Today I firmly believe that he’s getting a kick out of all of this but I can’t help but feel he’s been riding that Batmobile … with me today,” he said through tears.
Jacob was shot in a main artery in his thigh, causing massive blood loss leading to cardiopulmonary arrest, and died Saturday at Greenville Medical Center, his family said. He had been on life support in the hospital since the shooting.
Hours after his death, Jacob’s mother Renae spoke to reporters outside the hospital, calling him her “superhero.”
In a statement obtained by PEOPLE on Saturday, Jacob’s parents said, “Jacob came into our lives six years and four months ago and changed it completely. He showed us how to love, laugh and smile even on days we did not want to. God gave him to us and he was taken away from us by a senseless act.”
AP Photo/Rainier Ehrhardt
Following Jacob’s death, the prosecution upgraded the 14-year-old alleged shooter’s charges to two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder, court officials tell PEOPLE. The suspect is also charged with murder in the death of his father, 47-year-old Jeffrey Osborne, who was found dead near the school, the county coroner previously confirmed to PEOPLE.
Since the suspect’s arrest, Anderson County prosecutors have announced one more student was injured during the shooting.
In his first court appearance on Friday, the suspect was charged as a juvenile. However, with the new murder charge, it is unclear whether he will now be tried as an adult. In South Carolina, a child under the age of 17 is automatically tried as a juvenile in Family Court unless the prosecutor requests a judge to have him tried as an adult. Anderson County prosecutors could not be reached for comment, but court officials tell PEOPLE the possibility is “absolutely not off the table.”
A GoFundMe page started to help Jacob’s family funeral and medical expenses has raised more than $125,000.