Subway Claims Their Management Team Was Not Alerted About Former Franchisee's Claims That Jared Fogle Admitted to Having Sex with Minors
A former franchisee claimed she had alerted the company about Fogle years ago
Subway has responded to a former franchisee’s claim that she had alerted the company about inappropriate comments that former pitchman Jared Fogle has allegedly made about having sex with minors, telling PEOPLE in a statement that the her complaints were never escalated to the company’s management team.
Last week, former franchise owner Cindy Mills claimed that Fogle has told her that he had paid for sex with minors between the ages of 9 and 16 during a trip to Thailand. Mills, who was a Subway franchisee from 2006 to 2012, said that she had first reached out to a regional Subway contact in Florida, where her stores were based, and later turned to Jeff Moody, who was in charge of the Subway Franchisee Advertising Fund Trust at the time. Mills claimed that Moody had brushed off her concerns.
Now, in a statement, Subway has said that Mills’ concerns were never brought up to their management team and they have no record of her complaint to Moody. The company also added that Moody did not work for Subway’s corporate offices and was not a member of the company’s management team.
“Jeff served as the CEO of the Franchisee Advertising Fund Trust, a separate franchisee-run organization that operated at a separate address and with a separate staff from Subway corporate,” the company said. “If he, or any of his staff, ever received complaints about Jared Fogle, he did not escalate them to Subway’s management team. As previously stated, we have no record of Cindy Mill’s complaint to Jeff Moody. We are continuing our investigation into this matter.”
In a statement to the Associated Press on Friday, Moody said he had only learned about Fogle’s sexual interest in minors this summer. He also said that “like any decent human being” he was “shocked” and “repulsed” by the allegations.
Earlier this month, Fogle admitted that he had sex with at least two minors and obtained child pornography of 12 other children as young as 6 years old. As part of a plea deal the former pitchman signed with federal prosecutors, the father-of-two will face between 5 and 12 1⁄2 years in prison and has agreed to pay $1.4 million in restitution to his 14 victims. He also faces a fine up to $500,000.
• Reporting by HILARY SHENFELD