Nana Boakye Yiadom/AFP/Getty
January 12, 2016 10:50 AM

The boyfriend of former EastEnders actress Sian Blake has been remanded in custody in Ghana, the BBC reports.

Arthur Simpson-Kent, 48, has been told he will face an extradition hearing to bring him back to the United Kingdom, where he’s wanted in connection with the deaths of 43-year-old Blake and their two young sons.

Police discovered three bodies in the garden of the home of the actress on Jan. 5. The remains were formally identified as those of Blake and her sons Zachary, 8, and Amon, 4, two days later.

Sian Blake
Metropolitan Police/PA Wire/ZUMA

Postmortem examinations have provisionally concluded that Blake and her children died as a result of serious head and neck injuries.

Simpson-Kent fled to West Africa last month, three days after the actress and her children were last seen, and was photographed arriving at Kotoka International Airport in Ghana on Dec. 19. He was detained by officials there on Saturday.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

On Sunday, British police told PEOPLE that they were moving forward with extraditing the suspect to the U.K.

“An application for extradition will be made by officers and partner agencies in due course,” Scotland Yard said in a statement.

Detective Chief Inspector Graeme Gwyn, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said, “I would like to pass on my extreme thanks to the Ghanaian Police for their valuable assistance in this matter.

“Our thoughts remain with Sian and the children’s family at this time.”

The actions of British police following Blake’s disappearance are being investigated by the watchdog Independent Police Complaints Commission. Despite visiting the Blake house and questioning Simpson-Kent on December 16, investigators did not find the bodies on the Blake property until January 5.

You May Like

EDIT POST