Mom of 3-Year-Old Texas Girl Found Dead in Drain Is Arrested -- Weeks After Girl's Dad Was Charged

Sini Mathews is accused of leaving the toddler home alone for more than an hour the night before she went missing

Police in Richardson, Texas, have filed criminal charges against the mother of Sherin Mathews, the 3-year-old Texas girl whose body was found in a drain last month and whose father has been charged in connection with the case.

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by PEOPLE, Sini Mathews, 35, was arrested Thursday and charged with abandoning or endangering a child.

Authorities allege that Sini Mathews left Sherin alone at home for and hour and a half the night before the little girl was reported missing on Oct. 7.

Richardson Police Department

Her body was recovered Oct. 22 in a culvert. Sini Mathews is being held on $250,000 bond. She hasn’t entered a plea and it was unclear Friday if she had a lawyer who could comment on her behalf.

The arrest affidavit alleges that Sini Mathews and her husband, Wesley Mathews, left their adoptive daughter Sherin alone on the evening of Oct. 6 to take their 3-year-old biological daughter out to dinner.

Wesley Mathews was arrested on Oct. 7, after allegedly telling investigators he punished Sherin, who was adopted from India in the spring of 2016, for not drinking her milk by leaving her to stand next to a tree outside their Richardson home.

He allegedly told police he placed her near the tree at around 3 a.m. Mathews allegedly said he went to check on the toddler about 15 minutes later but she was gone. She was reported missing 5 hours later.

He later allegedly changed his story, telling police he watched his daughter choke on milk and die, according to an arrest affidavit. After her death, he says, he removed her from the home.

The affidavit says that Matthews was “trying to get the 3 year old girl to drink her milk in the garage….Wesley Mathews said she wouldn’t listen to him.” Mathews then allegedly stated that he “physically assisted” her in drinking her milk, and the girl choked.”

Wesley Mathews has been charged with felony injury to a child.

While interviewing Wesley Mathews, the arrest affidavit alleges he told police he went out the night before with his wife and daughter to a restaurant in North Garland, Texas. They allegedly left Sherin in the kitchen.

Richardson Police Department

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Police recovered a receipt from the restaurant and spoke to a waiter who confirmed the couple only had one child with them during dinner. The affidavit further claims cell phone records also place Sini and Wesley Mathews at the restaurant.

Wesley Mathews, who has yet to enter a plea, allegedly told police they returned home 90 minutes later to find Sherin still in the kitchen.

According to a Richardson Police statement issued Thursday, the Dallas County Medical Examiner is still working to determine the cause of Sherin Mathews’ death.

His attorney, Rafael De La Garza, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from PEOPLE.

Related Articles