A Family Man's Dark Side Before His Daughter Helped Unmask Him as a Serial Killer
"Certainly if he could reach that level of rage over a bag of potato chips, there's no telling what he's capable of"
But even before that terrible revelation, she and her siblings had discussed the fact that their dad had a dark side — which he sometimes took out on the family.
• For more on Edward Edwards’ dark secrets and his daughter’s search for the truth, subscribe now to PEOPLE or pick up this week’s issue, on newsstands now.
According to the clip, Balascio and her four siblings were discussing the killing of their adopted brother, “Danny Boy” Edwards, at one family gathering when talk turned to their mom’s hospitalization in 1982.
As Balascio learned, it was her father who put her there.
“Supposedly, the boys [my brothers] had eaten the bag of chips,” Balascio recalls in the preview.
Edwards “came home, he wanted the bag of chips, he was upset, ranting and raving,” she says. “Mom was trying to calm him down. He [grabbed] the knife, he stabbed her.”
• Watch the premiere of People Magazine Investigates: My Father, The Serial Killer on Monday, Jan. 15, at 8 p.m. ET on Investigation Discovery.
Of hearing about this violence, Balascio says, “I just couldn’t believe it.”
“I was saddened,” she says. “I was also shocked. I mean until that moment, I didn’t even know.”
PEOPLE Deputy Editor Dan Wakeford puts it another way in the clip: “Certainly if he [Edwards] could reach that level of rage over a bag of potato chips, there’s no telling what he’s capable of.”
- Man Who Lost Leg to Cancer Wins Halloween Yet Again with His Incredible 'Baby Groot' Costume
- Country Stars Reveal the Stories Behind Their One-of-a-Kind Performances for Museum Fundraiser
- Tokio Hotel Remake Hit 'Monsoon' 15 Years Later — See Bill Kaulitz Wear Heidi Klum's Dress!
- The Hills: New Beginnings Will Head Into Production on Season 2 in November: Source