"It's like someone coming into your apartment and waiting for you," a Vancouver officer tells PEOPLE of the confrontation

By Jacqueline Andriakos
April 14, 2015 12:40 PM
Rob Kim/Getty

Vancouver police have arrested a photographer in connection with a hit-and-run involving Ryan Reynolds on Sunday.

The 52-year-old British Columbia resident was arrested and charged with intimidation after a confrontation with the actor, 38, in a gated parking garage at a downtown Vancouver hotel, Constable Brian Montague of the Vancouver Police Department tells PEOPLE. He says the suspect seemingly hit Reynolds with his car as he was leaving the scene.

Investigators spoke with both Reynolds – who was alone at the time of the incident – and witnesses, and obtained security footage from the garage. Police also located the alleged driver and interviewed him Sunday, after which they determined an arrest was the “best option,” says Montague.

The photographer has since been released and is scheduled to appear in court on April 28.

The charge of intimidation involves persistently following a person, threatening the individual or a family member, or watching or harassing near the place where that person resides or works, according to an official statement from the Vancouver Police Department.

“[Intimidation] is not an overly used charge in Canada. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any other time where we’ve used it,” Montague tells PEOPLE.

The initial conflict between the actor and the photographer stemmed from the paparazzo invading the secured area accessible only by hotel residents, Montague said. The suspect could face imprisonment for up to five years if convicted under the intimidation charge.

“It’s like someone coming into your apartment and waiting for you. [The confrontation] stems from that, being in your home or at your place of business and having someone waiting for you,” he said.

Reynolds, a Vancouver native, did not suffer major injuries in the incident, citing a sore knee and a sore back in his statement. He returned to the set of his latest film, Deadpool, the following day.