Amanda Knox's Ex-Boyfriend Distancing Himself from Her for Future Trial
Raffaele Sollecito says there is no evidence to convict him
The united front that Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito have shared may be fading as he tries to separate his case from hers for their next appeal.
“He stands by his testimony regarding the events of that night and the next day, but he needs for the Italian courts to understand that any evidence against Amanda is not applicable to him,” Sollecito’s American attorney, John Q. Kelly, tells PEOPLE.
The attorney adds: “Yes, he is distancing himself from Amanda’s case, because he’s facing 25 years in jail and he’s in Italy, and there’s not a scintilla of evidence against him.”
Knox, 26, and Sollecito, 29, spent four years in an Italian prison for the brutal stabbing murder of Meredith Kercher before a higher court voided their conviction in 2011. The case appeared before an appellate court, and the pair were convicted again last month. She was given 28 ½ years; he was given 25 years. They are both appealing the conviction.
In a recent interview on CNN, Sollecito said there is no evidence to support a conviction.
“There is nothing against me and nothing very strong against Amanda,” Sollecito says. “And in my case, I really did nothing wrong, and I don’t want to pay for someone else’s peculiar behavior.”
Attempts to reach Knox were unsuccessful. She has long maintained that Sollecito was forced to experience her nightmare solely because of his association with her. On Feb. 11, she wrote on her blog: “The only reason he has been dragged into this is because he happens to be my alibi. He is collateral damage in the unreasonable, irresponsible, and unrelenting scapegoating of the prosecution’s grotesque caricature that is ‘Foxy Knoxy.’ ”
The case is expected to conclude next year before Italy’s highest court.
• Reporting by JEFF TRUESDELL