Lennie Mahler/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP
February 28, 2016 02:50 PM

Unrest broke out Saturday night in Salt Lake City as people gathered to protest an officer-involving shooting which left one person hospitalized, the Salt Lake City Tribune, NBC News and KSL report.

However, few details about the shooting or the aftermath it sparked had been confirmed by authorities of as early Sunday afternoon.

In a Sunday tweet, the Salt Lake City Police Department said that officers responded to an “assault in progress” while in the area on an unrelated call, and then “tried to engage [the] altercation.”

A Unified Police Department detective confirmed to the Tribune that an unidentified male victim was shot in his lower and upper torso and was in surgery.

His condition was critical Sunday morning, the UPD detective told the paper.

Two officers were involved in the shooting, authorities told KSL and NBC News, which occurred about 8 p.m. local time near 250 S. Rio Grande St., according to the Tribune.

Reports conflicted on the victim’s age and what kind of object he was carrying. It was not immediately clear how many bullets were fired.

Selam Mohammad, a friend of the victim, told the Tribune the victim was a teenage boy who was shot by police after the victim and another man were in an altercation.

Mohammad said the victim was carrying part of a broom stick.

“They told him to put it down, once,” Mohammad told the paper, and “started shooting him as soon as he turned around.”

Police stop a boy as he walks away from a crowd that formed after an officer-involved shooting at 200 S. Rio Grande St. in Salt Lake City on Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016.
Lennie Mahler/The Salt Lake Tribune via AP

People began to gather near the scene, soon after the shooting, according to tweets and photos.

Some yelled, “They shot an innocent kid,” according to KSL reporter Sandra Yi.

A witness told Yi the victim was 16, Yi said – while a UPD detective told the Tribune the victim was older. The witness also told Yi the victim was carrying a metal pipe, Yi said.

Nearly 100 police officers from multiple agencies, some with riot gear, gathered at the scene following the shooting, according to KSL and the Tribune; and “Salt Lake Tribune journalists saw and heard onlookers yelling obscenities at police and throwing rocks,” according to the paper.

There were “a lot of hostile people upset about what had taken place,” Wilking told the Tribune.

He confirmed to the paper that multiple people were detained, but declined to say more.

A Salt Lake City PD dispatcher confirmed to PEOPLE that the UPD has assumed investigation of the shooting, as is standard procedure.

A UPD spokesman did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment. PEOPLE was not immediately able to reach a Salt Lake City PD spokesperson for comment.

Wilking said witnesses are being interviewed and asked that anyone with information about the shooting come forward, according to NBC News.

He could not confirm if there was body camera footage available, according to KSL.

You May Like