North Charleston Police Department/AP
April 09, 2015 06:10 PM

The South Carolina police officer charged with murder for fatally shooting Walter Scott as he ran away during an altercation, was also involved in an excessive force complaint years ago that was quickly resolved, according to a complaint filed with the North Charleston Police Department and obtained by PEOPLE.

This past weekend, Michael Slager, 33, fired his gun eight times at Walter Scott, 50, hitting Scott in the back as he fled. Scott died as a result of the gunshot wounds.

Slager claimed that he killed Scott in self-defense after Scott grabbed his taser.

In 2013, Slager allegedly entered the home of Mario Givens and used a Taser against him multiple times, slammed him and grabbed him, according to the complaint that Givens filed with the North Charleston Police Department that PEOPLE has obtained. Givens, like Slager, was also black and unarmed, according to the complaint.

Soon after, Slager was exonerated without the police department contacting Givens, according to the Associated Press.

Now, the police department is reviewing that decision, North Charleston police spokesman Spencer Pryor told the news outlet.

Givens spoke to the Associated Press about that night.

“Come outside or I’ll Tase you,” Givens quoted the officer as saying. “I didn’t want that to happen to me, so I raised my arms over my head, and when I did, he Tased me in my stomach anyway.”

According to the AP, Givens’s arrest was a case of mistaken identity. Slager supposedly went to his home looking for Givens’s brother, Matthew Givens, in response to a call from Matthew’s ex-girlfriend Maleah Kiara Brown. He was described as 5 feet, 5 inches tall, but Givens was well over 6 feet.

Brown told the AP that she kept yelling that they had the wrong man but that Slager wouldn’t listen.

“It looked like he wanted to hurt him. There was no need to Tase him,” Brown said. “No reason. He was no threat – and we told him he had the wrong man.”

Givens’s mother also reportedly saw the entire incident happen after she was woken up from her son screaming.

“It was very devastating,” Bessie Givens, 57, told the AP. “You watch your son like that, he’s so vulnerable. You don’t know what’s going to happen. I was so scared.”

Now, with Slager behind bars for murder, Scott’s family is planning a funeral that will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at W.O.R.D Ministries Christian Center in Summerville, South Carolina and will be open to the public.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

You May Like