Source: Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake/Facebook
January 20, 2016 03:45 PM

A Utah police officer who was shot to death by a fugitive on Sunday was working overtime to pay for cancer treatments, PEOPLE confirms.

Officer Douglas Scott Barney, 44, was shot to death by Corey Lee Henderson, 31, who had violated parole stemming from a gun charge. Barney had undergone treatment for bladder cancer and his cancer was in remission. But to pay for his treatments, he had picked up the Sunday day shift after working the night before at his second job as a security officer, Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake spokesman Lt. Lex Bell tells PEOPLE.

“He was not supposed to be working that day,” says Bell. “But he was paying off 12 years of medical bills. He was a hardworking man.”

On Sunday morning, a police officer witnessed a car run a red light and T-bone another car. The passenger and driver of the car which ran the light, who police believe was Henderson, tried to flee the scene when the officer approached. The officer called for backup, at which point Barney responded to the scene. That’s when he was shot – by Henderson.

Police discovered Barney s body and quickly tracked down Henderson. Henderson began shooting at police and was killed during the confrontation.

During the shoot out, Henderson shot Officer Jon Richey twice in the legs. Richey was brought to a local hospital and released to recover at home.

Days later, the passenger of the vehicle turned herself in to police. She is currently being questioned.

In April, Henderson was released from prison after serving 14-months for a gun charge, according to the Associated Press. Bell tells PEOPLE that Henderson was known to be violent and should have been back in prison sooner.

“This was a very violent man. A repeat offender,” Bell says.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

‘He Was the Most Charismatic Man You Ever Met’

A candlelight vigil was scheduled for Wednesday evening to remember Barney.

Bell, who went to police academy with Barney and is his former partner, tells PEOPLE Barney was like his brother.

“We were brothers. I m the oldest in my family so I didn’t have a big brother, but Doug was my big brother.”

Barney and Bell joined the force on Jan. 1, 2000, and saw each other more than they saw their wives, Bell jokes.

Officer Douglas Scott Barney (left) and Lt. Lex Bell (far right)
Courtesy Lt. Lex Bell

“His personality was huge. He was the most charismatic man you ever met,” Bell remembers.

“I don t think you ll find one person that he took to jail that would say a bad thing about him,” he continues.

Twelve years ago, Barney was diagnosed with bladder cancer. For years, he went in and out of remission, Bell says, but he never lost his spark.

“There were many times where doctors said, ‘Get your affairs in order,'” Bell says. “But not even cancer could stop him. He always remained upbeat and happy.”

Bell says that while it s tragic what happened to Barney, he wouldn t have wanted to go any other way.

“I just think somebody up there was trying to kill him with cancer and bring him home, obviously he was needed elsewhere.”

A funeral will be held for Barney on Monday.

Benefit accounts have been created on behalf of the Barney and Richey Families. Those wishing to donate can do so at America First Credit Union under the Doug Barney Memorial Account and the Jon Richey Charitable Account or contact AFCU at 1-800-999-3961.

You May Like