Florida police have launched an investigation into Katie Brown after she uploaded a photo of a dog with its muzzle taped shut

By Char Adams
Updated November 28, 2015 06:35 PM
Credit: Source: Facebook

Florida police have launched an animal cruelty investigation after a woman uploaded a Facebook photo of a dog with its muzzle taped shut, PEOPLE has learned.

A South Daytona City Police Department spokesman told PEOPLE that an investigator is looking into the incident in which Katie Brown uploaded a Facebook photo of a brown dog with its muzzle duct-taped shut, apparently as punishment for barking too much.

“This is what happens when you don’t shut up!!!” Brown captioned a photo of the dog on Friday.

One minute later, Brown uploaded another post, writing, “Dont panic everyone it was only for a minute but hasn’t barked since POINT MADE!!!” But it was too late.

The photo has been shared more than 200,000 times and the police department has received dozens of calls, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

The South Daytona Facebook page has been riddled with updates about the investigation. In one post, officials state that Brown and the dog were out of town for Thanksgiving and the photo was taken from that location.

“We have information to indicate that the dog is OK at this time,” the post reads. “However, the police will be contacting this person once she returns to out City. Rest assured that a full investigation will be done and appropriate action will be taken.”

One post indicates that the number of calls to the police about Brown are so many that “the emergency number is being tied up.”

Earlier this year another dog, Caitlyn, was found with her muzzle taped shut in South Carolina and required multiple surgeries. The pup’s alleged abuser William Leonard Dodson was arrested on animal cruelty charges.

Dodson is being held in Charleston County Jail as he awaits trial, according to online records.