Twitter
March 31, 2016 11:35 AM

Salah Abdeslam, the suspect in the November Paris terror attacks whose arrest preceded the Brussels attacks, wants to cooperate with French authorities, his lawyers said Thursday morning.

Abdeslam was not in court Thursday morning at a hearing before the Court of Appeals in Brussels. The hearing, a procedure before his extradition can be ordered, was postponed and will resume late Thursday afternoon.

“I assure you Salah Abdeslam wishes to be handed over to French authorities,” his attorney, Cedric Moisse, told reporters outside the courtroom. “He agrees with the implementation of the European arrest warrant, and I can also confirm he wants to work with the French authorities.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Last week, Abdeslam stopped fighting his extradition to France. Thursday’s hearing will review the legitimacy of the European warrant issued against him by France which led to his arrest in the Brussels’s Molenbeek neighborhood. The Federal prosecutor’s office in Belgium has stated it “does not object” to the delivery of Abdeslam to French authorities.

Immediately following his arrest, Abdeslam allegedly told French authorities that he played only a small role in the Paris attacks, which killed 130. Since the Brussels attack on March 22, he has been interviewed only once, according to Belgium’s Federal Prosecutor, and refused all comment on the Brussels attacks.

You May Like

EDIT POST