Alan Hruby, 20, charged in the triple murder of his parents and sister, faces the death penalty in his trial

By Jeff Truesdell
June 16, 2015 09:45 AM
Stephens County Jail

A month before she died at the hands of her son Alan Hruby – who later confessed to police that he shot his mother, father and sister – Joy “Tinker” Hruby broke down in front of the family housekeeper about her fears.

The housekeeper, Rose Marie Chavez, testified in court Tuesday that she tried to comfort Tinker at the family’s upscale home in Duncan, Oklahoma, NewsOK reports. Alan already was in trouble for spending recklessly on a credit card he’d taken out using his grandmother’s name, and his parents had cut him off financially.

Tinker, according to Chavez, had heard from a friend that Alan was telling his friends “he was going to kill us.”

The housekeeper replied that Alan was “just blowing off steam.”

Alan, now 20, wiped tears as she spoke during the preliminary hearing, in which he learned he will face the death penalty in his eventual trial for killing his mother, Tinker, 48; her husband John, 50, a small-town newspaper publisher; and his sister Katherine, 17, in the kitchen of their home.

Prosecutors allege he staged the Oct. 9 murders to look like a robbery to access his inheritance. After shooting the victims, Alan told police, the former University of Oklahoma student fled to the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Dallas to party during the weekend of the Oklahoma-Texas football game.

The bodies were not discovered for four days.

Chavez, who’d worked for the family for 20 years, said she’d not heard from Tinker about whether to report to work on the morning of Oct. 13, The Duncan Banner reports.

When she did, she entered the laundry room and spotted overfilled food and water bowls for the Hrubys’ two dogs in front of the washer and dryer, and all the cabinets open.

Upon finding the bodies, “I was emotional and in shock,” she said.

“I went to the kitchen and saw Tinker lying on the floor – she was ice cold,” Chavez said. After spotting John facedown in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, she called 911 and waited for police, who arrived 10 minutes later.

“To me,” she said, “it seemed like forever.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.