The alleged victim escaped with the help of a good samaritan

By Harriet Sokmensuer
November 09, 2015 07:00 PM
Kenner Police Department

A woman who had allegedly been kidnapped for hours by a Louisiana man ran outside the house and was saved by a good samaritan, authorities confirm to PEOPLE.

Last Friday, Mario Perez-Roque, 56, of New Orleans, allegedly kidnapped his coworker outside her home as she left for work, Lt. Brian McGregor of the Kenner Police Department tells PEOPLE. Perez-Roque had allegedly pursued a relationship with the alleged victim but had been rejected, McGregor says.

Perez-Roque allegedly brought her back to his home, which according to cops contained hidden compartments, trapdoors and cameras behind two-way mirrors.

While police didn t discover any firearms in the home, McGregor says they found items “that were used to restrain, such as chains and locks.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

After hours of allegedly being held, gagged and bound, the woman was able to free herself, McGregor says. She told authorities that when she removed a bag covering her head, she found herself sitting across from a photo of herself, McGregor tells PEOPLE.

As the woman allegedly fled the home, Perez-Roque allegedly began to chase her down the street before a good samaritan intervened.

Gary Messina told local media that he was driving with his wife when he saw the woman running, with Perez-Roque allegedly beginning to grab her.

“I jumped out of the car to try and stop the guy from pulling her back,” Messina told WWL.

Messina was allegedly able to scare off Perez-Roque by yelling that police were on their way, he told the station.

Later that day, police tracked down Perez-Roque in the neighboring town of Metairie, Louisiana.

Authorities believe two men carried out the kidnapping. The victim told police that while she was being held she heard two men whisper in Spanish. Police are still searching for the second suspect.

Meanwhile, Perez-Roque is being held without bail.