Courtesy of Beth Twitty/AP
December 18, 2007 12:50 PM

Authorities officially closed the Natalee Holloway case on Tuesday, saying there was not enough evidence to charge anyone in her 2005 disappearance.

The three young men last seen with the teen in Aruba – Joran van der Sloot and brothers Deepak and Satish Kaploe – have all been informed they will not be charged, the Public Prosecutor’s Office announced, according to the Associated Press.

Authorities “have gone the extra mile and have exhausted all their powers and techniques in order to solve the mystery of the disappearance of the girl,” the office said.

Van der Sloot, 20, Deepak Kalpoe, 24, and Satish Kalpoe, 21, were all recently taken back into custody and later released due to lack of evidence. The attorney for Beth Holloway, Natalee’s mother, told PEOPLE earlier that the case would be dropped soon.

Holloway, an 18-year-old Alabama honors student, went missing in May 2005 after she failed to join her classmates for the flight home from their senior trip to Aruba. She was last seen leaving a bar with the three men. (Van der Sloot has claimed he last saw Holloway alive on the beach.)

Beth Holloway spoke to PEOPLE in October about her struggle to find out what happened to her daughter – and find peace. In a memoir, Loving Natalee, she said of the three men, “we all know they lied. But what they don’t know is that I’m willing to wait out all of their lies… I have the rest of my life to find out what happened to Natalee.”

You May Like

EDIT POST