The Nashville Fire Department revealed "all of the wounded except for one is over the age of 60" in a tweet

By Stephanie Petit
September 24, 2017 03:09 PM
Metro Nashville Police Department

One person was killed and seven others were wounded during a shooting at a church in Antioch, Tennessee, on Sunday morning.

Metro Nashville Police announced on Twitter that a shooter opened fire at Church of Christ Burnette Chapel. They said that one woman died and an additional six people were shot, with another person wounded by being pistol whipped.

The Nashville Fire Department said “all of the wounded except for one is over the age of 60.”

“This is a mass casualty situation. All of the wounded have been transported to area hospitals,” the department said. “The majority are older adults.”

The deceased victim was identified by police as 39-year-old Melanie Smith of Smyrna.

The shooter was also wounded and taken to a hospital, police said. He was later released and identified by police as 25-year-old Emanuel Kidega Samson. He will be charged with murder and attempted murder, according to police.

Bill Hunter, a former minister of the church, told Tennessean reporter Natalie Allison, “A fella walked in, sat down in a seat and pulled out a pistol and started shooting.”

A woman living next door to the church told WKRN two people came up to her door and said, “Someone is shooting at us at the church.” Her husband went to the church and saw a victim that had been shot in the back.

  • Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Nashville police were not immediately available for further comment.

According to News Channel 5, victims were sent to both Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Tristar Skyline Medical Center. Both hospitals have been placed on mass casualty alert.

• PEOPLE’s special edition True Crime Stories: 35 Real Cases That Inspired the Show Law & Order is on sale now.

The church,  holds a weekly service at 10 a.m., reports the Tennessean. The area around the church is shut down as police continue their investigation.