Munich police have confirmed that nine died and 16 were injured in the shooting at the local mall

By Adam Carlson
July 22, 2016 01:20 PM

Munich police have confirmed nine people died and 16 others were injured in Friday’s shooting at a local mall and fast-food restaurant.

Munich police say the 18-year-old unnamed German-Iranian gunman, who killed himself after opening fire at a crowded local mall and fast-food restaurant on Friday, acted alone with no ties to extremist groups such as ISIS, the Associated Press reports.

Nine people died and 16 others were injured in the shooting, Munich police confirmed on Saturday.

While searching the killer’s household, police found literature that suggests he had a prior interest in mass killings, the AP says. “Documents were found about mass shootings,” Munich’s police chief Hubertus Andrae told their reporters. “The perpetrator was obviously obsessed with the issue.”

Robert Heimberger, the head of Bavaria’s criminal police, told the AP police also found evidence that the shooter had hacked a young woman’s Facebook account earlier in the day – sending a message that invited people to the mall at 4 p.m. local time. “I’ll give you something if you want, but not too expensive,” the message said.

Policemen stand at the underground station Georg-Brauchle-Ring close to the Olympia shopping centre in which a shooting was reported in Munich on July 22, 2016.
Lukas Schulze/dpa/AP

At a press conference posted to Facebook, police said reports of the shooting began about 5:50 p.m. local time at a McDonald’s adjacent to the shopping center and then moved to the Olympische Einkaufs Zentrum mall.

The suspect’s body was found about 2½ hours after the attack. He was found with 9mm Glock pistol and at least 300 rounds of ammunition, police say in the press conference.

Emergency services respond to a shooting at a shopping center in Munich on July 22, 2016.
Associated Press Television/AP

One person near the shooting told PEOPLE they were locked in a restaurant for safety. “There’s a lot of panic,” the person said, adding that the streets closed and that restaurants are locking people inside for safety.

A resident in a house across from the mall told PEOPLE the area was full of police and emergency personnel. “Shortly after [the shooting] happened, lots of people ran out of the mall and the police ran inside,” the resident said.

Video posted to social media appeared to show part of the shooting, outside the McDonald’s, when the shooter opened fire on others on the street. Other posts, apparently taken from near the mall, showed a strong police presence – and people running away. Photos apparently taken from inside the mall showed a bloody scene.

Police had previously urged residents not to share photos of police operations in the area, which they said may aid the suspect – though are now asking for any first-hand accounts to be uploaded to their website to aid in the investigation, the AP says.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Friday’s attack comes days after an incident in Germany on Monday, when authorities say a 17-year-old boy from Afghanistan attacked four people on a train near Wuerzberg, wounding them with an ax and a knife before attacking a fifth person as he fled, according to the Associated Press.

The suspect in that attack was shot and killed by police, according to the AP. The attack was linked to ISIS, who claimed responsibility, according to the AP, though officials said the suspect was a lone attacker who was radicalized. None of the five victims was killed.

President Obama was apprised of the shooting, White House officials told PEOPLE. He told reporters at the time of the active situation that, “We don’t yet know exactly what’s happening.”

Obama called Germany a close ally and said the U.S. government will “pledge all the support that they may need” in the investigation.

With reporting by PHILIP BOUCHER

Advertisement