Tara Fowler
August 12, 2015 09:45 AM

A teenage boy suffered horrible scarring on his rear end after his stepmom dared him to set it ablaze in a “fire challenge,” then refused to get him treatment, police say.

Authorities in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, say that Connie Kirby bullied her 15-year-old stepson, Tre, into agreeing to the challenge by calling him a “punk,” CBS Pittsburgh reports.

“She asked me if I wanted to play the game,” Tre told the TV station. “And I was like, no. So then she called me ‘punk,’ and I’m like, okay, so we did it.”

Tre says that Kirby then took him into the bathroom and poured rubbing alcohol all over his behind before setting it on fire with a cigarette lighter.

“The first time she did it she only put a little bit of alcohol, then it went out real fast. But the second time she put a lot, and I caught on fire,” he said.

Tre screamed in agony until his sister put out the fire with Kool-Aid and water. The burns could potentially have been treated, but Kirby refused to take Tre to the hospital, police say.

When Tre’s father, William Kirby Jr., came home, police say that he too refused to get his son medical treatment.

For a month, the wounds festered before Tre’s “skin bubbled up, filled with fluid, and burst.” They the wounds became infected, resulting in painful scarring.

He ended up suffering burns on 16 percent of his body, according to a criminal complaint obtained by CBS Pittsburgh.

When Tre’s biological mother saw the wounds, she says, Tre’s father told her that “he was riding the lawnmower, it fell over and Tre caught on fire from that,” CBS Pittsburgh reports.

But a visit to the hospital quickly disproved that. “The scars that are seen were caused by liquid that dripped between the legs,” medical records from the Pittsburgh Child Advocacy Center at Children’s Hospital read. “The stories of being burned by a bonfire or lawnmower are not consistent with the injuries.”

Both Connie and William Kirby were charged with child endangerment, simple assault and reckless endangerment. Connie was also charged with aggravated assault.

Neither of them has entered a formal plea. But Connie claims the story is made up, telling police that the boy fabricated the story because he wanted to live with his mother.

She says the injury actually occurred when Tre stood too close to a burn pile of brush and threw gasoline on the fire.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

You May Like