The home where police say a toddler was found hanged on Friday.
November 21, 2016 02:24 PM

A 42-year-old child care worker was arrested on Friday in Minneapolis after allegedly hanging a 16-month-old boy — who survived — and then leading police on a chase that left two more people injured, PEOPLE confirms.

Nataliia Mykhaylivna Karia remains in the custody of the Minneapolis Police Department but has not been formally charged with any crime, records show. Information regarding her bail was unavailable Monday.

A motive in the case, which authorities have described as a “horrific” series of events, also remains unclear.

Officers were first summoned to a child care facility that Karia ran out of her home shortly before 10 a.m. Friday after a parent who arrived for drop-off called 911 about an injured child, police said in a statement.

Soon after arriving at the scene, police learned a 16-month-old boy had been hanged inside Karia’s residence.

The statement does not specify how the child had been hanged or where in the house the incident occurred but notes that the parent who called 911 freed the boy. A “handful” of children were in the home at the time, according to police.

The child was removed from the home and transported to a nearby hospital, where he continues to receive treatment. Doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Authorities allege Karia fled the home before officers could arrive. Not long after, she allegedly ran down a man as he was exiting his vehicle.

The hit-and-run — which was soon succeeded by two others — was reported 14 minutes after the initial 911 report, according to the police statement.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter

After striking the man, Karia allegedly kept driving and ended up dragging the man “a significant distance,” leaving him with numerous scrapes and several broken bones, police said in their statement.

Karia then allegedly struck a bicyclist, breaking one of his legs, before colliding with a car that was being driven by a pregnant woman, according to police. All three people received medical attention.

Some 20 minutes after the initial 911 call, police allege Karia was seen on a highway overpass where she was threatening to jump to her death. But a number of passersby held Karia down until police took her into custody as she allegedly tried to fight them off.

Karia — who does not have a lawyer at this time — is being evaluated at an area hospital, according to the police statement. She will be booked into the Hennepin County Jail in Minnesota as soon as she is released from the hospital.

You May Like