The young couple suddenly found dead in their Michigan home earlier this week had recently experienced setbacks, their family tells PEOPLE

By Harriet Sokmensuer
October 23, 2016 08:30 PM

The young couple who suddenly and mysteriously died together in their Michigan home this week had been recently devastated by the loss of custody of their children, their family tells PEOPLE.

Relatives say child services had removed the couple’s young sons from their home soon before Cameron Hulet, 28, and his wife Courtney, 20, were found lying on the floor of their Dundee, Michigan, apartment Tuesday night.

Their bodies showed no obvious trauma, and autopsy results are pending. The couple’s family says drugs could be a factor, but police still don’t know what happened.

“It’s really a puzzle,” Dundee Village Manager Dave Uhl told the Monroe News. “There is no indication as to what happened. It’s a mystery.”

Cameron’s mother, Cheryl Harris, says he and Courtney had not been doing well since their two young sons, a 4-month-old and 1-year-old, were put into foster care.

“It was devastating to them,” she says. “They called me bawling their eyes out.”

Harris tells PEOPLE she last spoke to her son on Sunday night, two days before his death. Although he and Courtney were “extremely depressed,” Harris says she can’t imagine they would hurt themselves.

Cameron’s family declined to specify why the children may have been removed. Child services would not release the cases’ information, though local media reports show Cameron had a criminal history.

But his mother and brother both tell PEOPLE that Cameron was a good man — working two jobs to support his wife and children at home.

Credit: Source: Facebook

“Two people tragically died, and [police] don’t know why,” Cameron’s brother Garrett Hulet tells PEOPLE. “The last thing I know was he was just living life, doing okay.”

Authorities say Cameron and Courtney died at basically the same time, and it appeared they were both about to eat dinner, according to reports.

A pound of marijuana was found in the couple’s home along with their untouched dinner, according to the Monroe News, and it seemed the drugs were being prepared for sale. Neither Cameron nor Courtney showed obvious signs of trauma, and there was no signs of forced entry.

“It could be a drug overdose, but you never know,” Harris says reluctantly, adding, “I loved them both.”

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Credit: Source: Facebook

Toxicology and autopsy reports will take weeks to come back, the family says.

“I’ve talked to four different officers, and each one of them told me they don’t know [what happened],” Harris says. “We have no idea what happened.”

Harris tells PEOPLE that both pregnancies were hard for Courtney, who was a stay-at-home mom and a “firecracker.” The couple’s eldest son was born premature with cerebral palsy, and for a few months the family had to stay at the Ronald McDonald House in Toledo, Ohio.

“They [lived] for those boys,” Harris says. “They loved their boys and were just not able to take care of them the way they should.”

The couple met three years ago when Courtney worked as a store clerk. She and Cameron wed in April 2015, shortly before the birth of their first son.

“There were times where he was stubborn and said things he shouldn’t have said — but the one thing I could say about my brother was he was very loyal, and he would do anything for you,” Garrett tells PEOPLE. “He always had my back and always had his family’s back, and no matter what you were going through he was there for you.

“He was just a good person.”

The family is holding a fundraising dinner Saturday night in Monroe, Michigan. A GoFundMe has also been started to raise money for funeral expenses.