The U.S. Supreme Court this week declined to hear Michelle Carter's appeal

By Jeff Truesdell
January 15, 2020 03:02 PM

Michelle Carter‘s 15-month sentence for involuntary manslaughter after encouraging her teen boyfriend’s 2014 suicide through texts and phone calls will end next week when she is set free more than three months early.

Carter’s release — tentatively set for January 23 — was confirmed to PEOPLE by Jonathan Darling, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office in Bristol County, Massachusetts.

Carter shortened her stay in the Bristol County House of Corrections through what is called “good time” credit, which awards up to 10 days per month to inmates who display exemplary behavior by attending programs and classes as well as working inside the jail, Darling previously told PEOPLE.

Under the terms of the sentence she began serving in February 2019, Carter’s original release date would have been May 5. If the January 23 release date holds, she will have served just 11 months and 12 days.

Michelle Carter
AP/REX/Shutterstock

RELATED: Inside the Conviction of a Massachusetts Woman Who Urged Her Boyfriend to Kill Himself in Texts

Carter’s conviction followed her role in the death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, who was found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in his pickup truck on July 13, 2014, in the parking lot of a Kmart in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.

In hundreds of texts and statements that came to light afterward, Carter, who was 17 at the time, was revealed to have pressured Roy to go through with the act.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

The judge who found her guilty cited Carter’s written admission to a friend that, after Roy got out of the truck and shared his last-minute fears with Carter in a phone call before he died, she had told him to “get back in.”

Both teens had struggled with depression, and Roy had made previous attempts at suicide.

Conrad Roy III

Although Carter’s defense acknowledged her exchanges with Roy, her attorneys argued that prosecutors had “cherry-picked” only those text messages that served their case against her, ignoring others in which Carter urged Roy toward help for his struggles.

RELATED: Michelle Carter, Jailed for Urging Boyfriend’s Suicide, Is Denied Parole: She ‘Lacked Sincerity’

Her defense team further argued that Carter’s statements were covered by First Amendment free-speech protections, and that she shouldn’t be found guilty for a crime because of words alone, especially when she wasn’t on the scene where Roy committed suicide.

But police said Carter deliberately misled friends and Roy’s family members in the days and hours before Roy died, claiming to them that he’d gone missing at the same time the two of them were in contact and he was planning his suicide.

On Monday the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Carter’s appeal of her conviction, after the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court also upheld the conviction.

Seven months into serving her 15-month sentence, Carter had sought permission from the Massachusetts parole board to to be released. In September, that request was denied.

Advertisement