Matthew DeRemer, 31, was riding his motorcycle when he was struck by the driver on late Thursday evening
Credit: Matthew DeRemer/Facebook

The final Facebook post of a Marine who was killed by a drunk driver in Largo, Florida, on New Year’s Eve is going viral thanks to its inspiring message.

Matthew DeRemer, 31, was riding his motorcycle when he was struck by the driver on late Thursday evening. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Just hours before the fatal crash, DeRemer posted a moving message on Facebook, made all the more poignant

“Last day of 2015!!!!” DeRemer wrote. “For me I’ll be meditating through all I do, on this entire year. I’ve lost, I’ve gained, family is closer and tougher than ever before, loved ones lost, and new friends found.”

He continued: “There has been many times where I’ve been found on my knees in prayer for hours (relentless) and other times leading a group of people in prayer, my faith (that I love to share) is an everyday awakening (to me) that people, lives, and circumstances can change for the better OVER TIME.

“I look back at 2015’s huge challenges that I’ve overcome, shared with others, and have once again found myself… To say thank you and BRING ON 2016, much works to be done!”

He concluded the post: “And I really don’t know where I’ll end up tonight but I do know where I wind up is where I’m meant to be.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Since his death, DeRemer’s Facebook post has been shared more than 1,000 time, and his friends and family have left their own touching responses to his original post.

“The last words of your post will be an inspiration and encouragement to me,” wrote one friend.

“His last sentence has me speechless. What a beautiful soul. Beyond powerful, May you Rip,” added another.

Steven Lee Clarke, 59, was arrested at the scene of the crash and booked into Pinellas County Jail, PEOPLE confirms. He’s charged with DUI manslaughter and has since been released on bond.

Clarke has not yet entered a plea to the charge against him.