The funeral for 14-year-old Eilidh MacLeod took place on a quiet Scottish island on Monday

By Simon Perry
June 05, 2017 07:06 PM

The funeral for 14-year-old Eilidh MacLeod, one of 22 victims killed in the blast that followed an Ariana Grande concert last month in the U.K., took place on a quiet Scottish island on Monday.

Mourners are said to have stood in silence as Grande’s song “My Everything” was played.

Eilidh’s family and friends gathered at a church on the Barra, in the Hebrides, about 200 miles west of Glasgow, to pay tribute to her.

The priest told the congregation that the teen, who had attended Grande’s concert with friend Laura MacIntyre, who was also injured in the bombing, “packed a lot of life into 14 happy years,” the BBC reported.

Eilidh MacLeod
| Credit: Source: Greater Manchester Police/Twitter

Eilidh had been a keen member of the local pipe band and, in commemoration, a piper played as her coffin was brought back by air on Sunday.

“She piped in the bands at events, and when dignitaries came to the island she would be part of the occasions when they were piped onto the island,” her great uncle Donald Manford told PEOPLE last week.

“She was often, despite her young years, called on to do these things and she did it easily and people found it easy to call on her,” he said.

“She was a bright, bright young person, always had a smile for people and easy to approach and easy to engage with,” he said.

Eilidh MacLeod’s funeral procession in Scotland on Monday, led by her father, Roddy.
| Credit: Andrew Milligan/PA/AP
Eilidh MacLeod’s funeral procession in Scotland on Monday.
| Credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire

The priest said at her funeral mass that “the last thing in Eilidh’s life was happiness.”

“She had spent a wonderful weekend away from the island, going shopping, going to nice cafes, going to the cinema and then going to her pop idol’s concert,” he said.

“She was the happiest she had ever been, and that’s what we hold onto today: the happiness of Eilidh’s life,” he continued.

Wreaths were sent from the chief constable of Greater Manchester and the city’s mayor, Andy Burnham.

Burnham wrote in his, according to the BBC, “We may not have known you, but you will forever be in the hearts and thoughts of all at Greater Manchester Police and the people of Manchester.”