Suspect, 22, Identified in Deadly Manchester Concert Bombing as Police Investigate Whether He Acted Alone

The bombing outside an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester on Monday night killed 22 and injured at least 59

U.K. authorities formally identified the suspect in Monday’s deadly bombing in Manchester and are investigating whether he acted alone or in conjunction with a larger network, Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said at a Tuesday news conference.

Salman Abedi, 22, is the man police believe detonated an improvised explosive device about 10:33 p.m. local time near the ticket office outside the Manchester Arena just as Ariana Grande was concluding a concert there.

Twenty-two people were killed in the blast and dozens more were injured, including children and teens.

However, Hopkins noted that Abedi has not been formally identified by the coroner.

“The priority remains to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network,” Hopkins said.

Police have also arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack, according to Hopkins, and have carried out two local warrants as part of their investigation: one in Whalley Range and one in Fallowfield.

According to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant communication, ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Given the high emotions, Hopkins said, “people are bound to be looking for answers.”

But he said, “Now, more than ever, it is vital that our diverse communities in Greater Manchester stand together and do not tolerate hate.”

A vigil was set for Tuesday at Albert Square in Manchester starting at 6 p.m., according to police.

Police have said that 400 officers were involved in the response following the attack.

Police also ask all who witnessed the explosion and have images or video to submit them via an online form.

Related Video: British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Remarks on the Manchester Attack

Three fatal victims have so far been identified as Georgina Callander, 18, Saffie Rose Roussos, 8, and 26-year-old John Atkinson.

Grande took to social media late Monday to share her devastation in the wake of the explosion. Witnesses said she had just finished her last song of the night before the explosive went off.

“Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry,” Grande wrote on Twitter. “I don’t have words.”

Updated by
Chris Harris

Chris Harris has been a senior true crime reporter for PEOPLE since late 2015. An award-winning journalist who has worked for Rolling Stone and MTV News, Chris enjoys prog rock, cycling, Marvel movies, IPAs, and roller coasters.

Related Articles