Danny Hammond died on Sunday after allegedly shooting Deputy Steven Sandberg

By Tara Fowler
October 20, 2015 11:50 AM
Department of Corrections

Danny Hammond, the man who allegedly shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy while being treated at a hospital following a domestic violence incident, had held his wife captive in the days before the fatal shooting, court documents obtained by PEOPLE show.

Hammond died on Sunday after allegedly shooting Deputy Steven Sandberg, who had been standing guard outside his hospital room at St. Cloud Hospital in Minnesota.

According to court documents, Hammond’s wife, who is not being identified, came home from work on Oct. 10 and told her husband that she didn’t love him anymore and wanted a divorce.

Hammond allegedly responded by locking all the doors in the house and closing all the windows and removing the handles so his wife could not leave. He then purportedly grabbed a loaded .9mm pistol and pointed it at his wife, saying they would be together until “death do we part,” which she took to mean “he was willing to kill both her and himself,” the documents state.

That night, Hammond allegedly forced his wife to eat food containing rat poison. She tried to escape once, but he grabbed her and pulled her back, tearing her bra and T-shirt off her, the documents state.

Hammond then purportedly forced her into bed with him, where he alternately pointed his pistol at his wife and himself, according to the documents. At one point, he allegedly fired a round into the bedroom’s television set, then allegedly told his wife he wished she’d been standing in front of it.

The next morning, Hammond’s wife allegedly managed to convince him to let her go see her father. While there, she called 911 and informed police of what had happened. Responding officers described her as “visibly distraught,” with various abrasions to her body.

Officials located Hammond in critical condition at his residence on Oct. 12, the result of an apparent suicide attempt. He was taken to St. Cloud Hospital for treatment, where he later died after being tased by officers following his alleged attack on Deputy Sandberg.

Hammond was previously convicted in 1990 for felony terroristic threats, records obtained by PEOPLE show.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.