Kibby used a shock collar and a stun gun to control the girl

By Char Adams
Updated May 27, 2016 12:20 PM
Credit: Jim Cole/AP

A New Hampshire man pleaded guilty on Thursday to kidnapping a 14-year-old girl and raping her repeatedly over a nine-month period, a spokesperson from the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office confirms to PEOPLE.

Nathanial Kibby pleaded guilty to seven charges including criminal threatening, kidnapping, and aggravated felonious sex assault. He was sentenced to up to 90 years in prison, according to the Associated Press.

Kibby withdrew his initial not guilty plea and accepted a deal to avoid a trial, slated to start next month, in which he would have faced nearly 200 felony charges.

Kibby was arrested in July 2014 for abducting the girl in North Conway and holding her captive in his trailer near the town of Gorham.

The victim, now 17 years old, went missing on Oct. 9, 2013, when she accepted Kibby’s offer of a ride home from school because her feet were sore, Associate Attorney General Jane Young said Thursday during the hearing at the Belknap County Superior Court. When she tried to exit his car, Kibby pulled out a gun and threatened to kill her.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

‘Unspeakable Violence’ Including Shock Collar

For nine months, the teen “suffered numerous acts of unspeakable violence,” her attorney told PEOPLE after Kibby’s arrest. She was gagged, blindfolded and chained to Kibby’s bed. Kibby even made her wear a shock collar and used zip ties and a stun gun to control her.

She returned home in July 2014. Young said Thursday that Kibby released the girl once he was sure he had “terrorized her enough” that she wouldn’t reveal his identity.

The teen waited until a week after she was home to reveal Kibby’s name. On Thursday, she said she thinks about what happened to her every day. But she also thanked Kibby.

“I want you to know that I appreciate my freedom because of you and I enjoy my life because of you,” she said. “I just want to thank you for giving me my freedom back.”

The victim said she forgives Kibby, but the girl’s mother said she wasn’t able to do the same, according to the Boston Globe.

“There is a part of me that hates you and a part of me that wants peace,” the mother said.