Matt Kabel/The Middletown Press/AP

Police in New Haven, Conn., took Raymond Clark III, 24, into custody in order to execute a warrant to collect DNA samples from him, authorities announced. Police also collected items from the home Clark shares with his fiancée in Middletown, about 20 miles north of New Haven, before police released him early Wednesday.

Clark was not charged, nor was he officially named a suspect in the case of Yale grad student Annie Le, a bride-to-be who was found dead in a building near the medical school on Saturday. Police did name Clark as a “person of interest,” however.

“We took him into custody to gather evidence from his body and his person,” Police Chief James Lewis told reporters. Clark was released to his attorney at 3 a.m. Wednesday, according to New Haven police spokesman Joe Avery. Clark complied with requests for DNA samples Avery said, adding that Clark is now free to go wherever he wants.

Clark, who has been in the employ of Yale University for four years, worked in the basement where Le’s body was found. According to reports, he failed an FBI lie-detector test and had scratches on his chest. A university source told the New Haven Register that Clark and Le likely knew each other, because he cared for the mice she used in her experiments.

According to the Los Angeles Times, only someone intimately familiar with the building’s basement would have stashed her body there.

Courtesy Yale University

Clark’s sister, brother-in-law and fiancée all worked at the university as well. He is to be married in December 2011. Le was to have been married last Sunday, the day her body was discovered. She disappeared Sept. 8.

On Tuesday, Le’s family issued a statement through family friend the Rev. Dennis Smith. “The entire Yale community as well as our extended families and friends have been very supportive, helpful and caring,” he said. “Our loss would have been immeasurably more difficult to cope with without their support.”

You May Like