Freeman was asked to leave several times, but allegedly refused and became increasingly angry, cops say
Credit: Porter County Sheriff's Office

A Gary, Indiana, man who was interviewing for a job at a fast food restaurant’s headquarters allegedly threatened to kill people in the office and blow up the building after getting into a dispute with employees, police said.

According to a police report obtained by PEOPLE, Raymond L. Freeman, Jr., 19, was completing paperwork for a job alongside a woman. When the woman left the building but forgot her cell phone, Freeman put the phone in his pocket, “showing no intention of returning the item to the office,” the report said.

When the woman called a bit later to ask about the phone, office workers asked Freeman if he had seen it. He then allegedly pulled it out of his pocket and handed it over. But at that point, a hiring manager asked Freeman to leave because she “felt he was dishonest and not able to be trusted in the handling of money,” the report states.

“We have an honesty policy, and that doesn’t align with our honesty policy,” the manager tells PEOPLE.

Freeman was asked to leave several times, but allegedly refused and became increasingly angry, at one point threatening to blow up the building, according to the police report. The report says the manager asked him to leave again, but he refused and said “that he wanted to ‘come back there and kill everybody here.'”

Employees called police, and Freeman ultimately left after police arrived, according to the report. Freeman was arrested outside the building.

Employees were shaken up by the incident, the report states.

“Mr. Freeman made statements that you just cannot make and not expect to be arrested,” Portage Police Chief Troy Williams tells PEOPLE. “We’re glad he did not have a chance to act on them.”

According to police, Freeman told them he had planned to return the phone, denied making any threats and said he left when asked. He faces charges of felony intimidation and misdemeanor theft. He was in the Porter County jail on a $1,000 bond awaiting his initial court appearance, authorities told PEOPLE.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.