Kelly McGillis Explains Why She Got a Concealed Carry Permit After Home Break-In and Assault: Top Gun Star Recalls Trauma of Past Rapes and Attacks
Kelly McGillis shared a photo of her target practice on Facebook
Top Gun actress Kelly McGillis says she has been issued a conceal and carry gun permit after being assaulted during a break-in at her home on June 17.
The 58-year-old wrote on Facebook on Thursday that she was “rushed” through a conceal and carry course and is now “armed and ready.”
“The Henderson County Sheriff’s department has been absolutely the greatest,” McGillis wrote, sharing a photo of her first target practice.
McGillis wrote on Facebook last week that she planned to obtain the weapons permit after she returned to her North Carolina home to find a woman and young girl inside. The star, who said she keeps guns and ammunition in her house, said after a conversation with the intruders she panicked and ran outside to call 911. It was then, she alleged, that the woman began punching and scratching her to grab the phone.
The Henderson County sheriff’s office charged Laurence Marie Dorn, 38, with second-degree burglary, misdemeanor larceny, misdemeanor stalking, assault and battery and interfering with emergency communication. She is being held in the Henderson County Jail under a $60,000 bond.
In North Carolina, a conceal and carry permit is valid for five years, and costs $80, plus fingerprinting fees, according to the North Carolina Department of Justice. Applicants must complete an approved handgun safety course, and provide a release authorizing disclosure of mental health records. In addition, North Carolina residents must be at least 21 to obtain the permit.
Related Video: Top Gun Turns 30
McGillis’ plans to obtain the permit were met with some backlash, she noted on Facebook last weekend.
“For those of you on my feed that are telling me that getting a cc permit is not the best choice for me to make, well let me fill you in on a few things that have lead me to this decision,” she wrote, noting that she is not a “pro gun fanatic.”
The Witness star went on to write that she was gang-raped at age 12, later held up at gunpoint during college, attacked on the New York City subway, and then raped again by two men in 1979 – a horrific ordeal she’s previously spoken out about.
“After each one of these attacks I moved thinking I could find a safe place. Not,” McGillis detailed. “The incident Friday night has now pushed me over the edge. It has been my tipping point. No I am not a victim. I am a survivor.”
Explaining that her emotions were raging, McGillis said she was “left with all the terrifying feelings of PTSD and trying to pull myself out of the very depth of the all consuming depression and despair.”
She continued, “All I have ever wanted is to feel safe. Safe in my own home…. I can’t think. I can’t eat. And I am terrified to be alone…That’s why I am going to start carrying a gun.”