Kellen Winslow Jr. already faced accusations of kidnap and rape and was awaiting trial next month on those charges

By Jeff Truesdell
March 05, 2019 02:40 PM
Advertisement

Former NFL star Kellen Winslow Jr., already accused of kidnap and rape, was jailed Monday after being slapped with new allegations of lewd conduct while out on bail and awaiting trial on the earlier charges.

According to documents obtained by PEOPLE, the 35-year-old son and namesake of San Diego Chargers Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow was charged as a result of alleged actions last month with two counts of lewd conduct, one count of battery of an elder, and one count of willful cruelty to an elder.

The charges — all misdemeanors — stem from two incidents involving a 77-year-old woman at a gym in Carlsbad, California, said San Diego County Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

On Feb. 13, Winslow Jr. was exercising near the woman at the gym when he allegedly touched himself and asked the woman if she liked it, said Owens.

On Feb. 22, Winslow Jr., allegedly wearing only a towel, entered a hot tub where the same woman was sitting and engaged in lewd conduct. He allegedly touched her arm, and then her foot as the woman exited the tub to report the incident, said Owens.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

He pleaded not guilty on Thursday to the new allegations, reports NBC San Diego, but on Monday Vista Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman ordered Winslow Jr. placed in jail.

A call by PEOPLE to Winslow Jr.’s defense attorney, Harvey A. Steinberg, was not immediately returned.

In court last June, Winslow Jr. pleaded not guilty to allegedly kidnapping and raping two women and targeting others, including an 86-year-old, in Southern California.

Before he was jailed Monday, he had been free on a $2 million bond and awaiting trial on those charges next month, reports San Diego CBS affiliate KFMB.

In those earlier charges, a 54-year-old woman said she had been hitchhiking when she accepted a ride from Winslow Jr. in March 2018. She alleges he “told her if she screamed, he would murder her” before raping her, Owens told the Union-Tribune at the time those charges were filed.

Separately, a 59-year-old woman alleges after getting in his car that Winslow Jr. kidnapped, raped and sodomized her in May 2018, the newspaper reported. He was charged with indecent exposure of a third alleged victim, 55, in May.

The newspaper also reported Winslow Jr. is charged with burglary with the intent to rape a 71-year-old woman in June 2018 and burglary with the intent to rape an 86-year-old woman that same month.

His attorneys were due in court Tuesday for a scheduled hearing at which they had planned to ask Judge Bowman to drop some of those charges, reports the Union-Tribune.

After he was charged with those alleged crimes, Winslow Jr.’s father and Winslow Jr.’s wife, Janelle Winslow, issued a statement saying they supported him.

“On behalf of our son and my husband, we want to reiterate our love, support and affection for him during this difficult process,” the statement read. “We will always be there for him and we know the true facts will come out.”