Judge Postpones Ruling on Casey Anthony's Return to Orlando
The Florida woman will remain in hiding for now
Casey Anthony has caught another break.
The Florida woman who was acquitted last month of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee, will not be required to return to Orlando, Fla., to serve probation in her check fraud case until a further ruling from the judge, which is expected late next week.
During a court hearing on Friday morning, Anthony’s defense team argued that she already served her probation while she was in jail awaiting her murder trial. “What’s done is done,” defense attorney Lisabeth Fryer told the court.
Judge Belvin Perry, who presided over Anthony’s murder trial, delayed his ruling until he could do more research. “It’s not a clear black and white issue,” he said. “It is a legal morass.”
Aside from the legal issues, Perry also expressed concern about Anthony’s safety. “I am well aware of the threats that have been lodged against Miss Anthony,” he said, suggesting that they would work with law enforcement to protect her from angry protestors.
Anthony was not present in the courtroom on Friday. Her location remains a mystery.